Thursday, November 25, 2010

Spaghetti Squash Chronicles

We have received an abundance of spaghetti squash with our CSA so far this fall. It is not so much that we dislike it, but it is more that it gets a bit boring as a side dish on its own and I don’t particularly like it as a substitute for real spaghetti. So, for once in my life, I got a little creative and adventuresome when it comes to cooking on the fly! No recipes… no research…. Just me throwing stuff together that we had in the house that I thought might taste good together. I will also say that this type of casserole gets rid of that weird crunchy texture that spaghetti squash always seems to have. In the spirit of cooking on the fly, you will notice that my recipes are a little “loosey goosey” with regards to amounts. If I can wing it, you can too! Just estimate based on proportions and flavors that you like. Honestly, it is hard to make a mistake with these.

I made the first one as a contribution for a small gathering of friends. My goal was to try and get rid of half a baked squash and not have to go to store for any ingredients. After it turned out so well, I got inspired and came up with idea for the second one. Honestly, I liked the Southwest version best, but I would make the Mediterranean one again, too. If you do try either, you will have to let me know what you think. Enjoy!

Southwest Spaghetti Squash

  • Whole or Half a roasted squash, shredded into a bowl
  • 1 can of beans (I used pintos)
  • Sauteed onion and peppers
  • Sauteed chili pepper
  • Your favorite Southwest or Mexican seasonings (to taste) plus salt and pepper
  • Yogurt, cream, or sour cream ( or a mix). Just enough to give it some creaminess and bind it
  • Top with shredded cheese (I used cheddar)

Cover and bake at 350 for at least a half hour to 45 minutes.

Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash (going for the flavors of a spankopita)

  • Half or whole roasted spaghetti squash, shredded into bowl
  • Caramelized onions
  • Spinach (I used arugula to get rid of it)
  • 1 can cannellini beans
  • Some pine nuts
  • Splash of lemon juice
  • Herbs de Provence, salt and pepper
  • Yogurt and touch of heavy cream, just enough to bind it and give it a creamy texture
  • Feta chunks

Mix it all together in a bowl. I lightly folded the feta in last. Bake for about 45 minutes until bubbly. We sprinkled some Parmesan on the top before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment