Saturday, August 14, 2010

Restaurant Review: Diablo Burger

I have always harbored a secret desire to be a food writer, so since I am trying to write about all my Flagstaff experiences, I realized I could be writing little mini restaurant reviews. So, you will have to let me know how I am doing. Do I tell you what you want to know? Am I descriptive enough? Feedback will be welcome!

Of course, I came to this realization after we had been, so I don’t have any pictures… I am sure we will go back, so next time! Diablo Burger is a well known Flagstaff destination even though it has been in business for less than two years! I don’t think they anticipated the popularity they would have, and their tiny space is really not big enough for them. First thing to know, this is a cash only joint. Second thing to know, good food takes time. I suspect we arrived at their peak dinner hour on the Saturday we went, but it still took longer than the 30 minutes they estimated to us. However, it was worth the wait. The third thing that you should know about Diablo Burger is that part of the draw is their commitment to fresh and local ingredients and made to order meals. Their kitchen is tiny, which again, is why it takes so long to get your order. This is not McDonald’s, folks, so if you are wanting fast and cheap, this is not the place for you.

On to the food! R ordered the “Vitamin B” which comes with bacon, bleu cheese, and beets. Yes, you read that right, BEETS! I thought it sounded a little weird, and I am not much of a beet fan, but the Vitamin B was given the thumb’s up, and the beet flavor came through. I went with the “Ziggy Stardust” make your own model option. I went with the simple and classic toppings of bleu cheese and grilled onions. The bleu cheese was fresh and had a nice sharp and smoky taste that went well with the rich meatiness of the burger. The grilled onion added a nice sweetness that balanced out the flavors. I appreciated that the burgers weren’t overly large. I am not sure of the weight, but I am pretty sure it was not the half pound monster that most gourmet burger places seem to like to serve these days as I was able to finish mine.

All Diablo Burgers are served on a English muffin. I love English muffins, but thought that might be a little weird. Despite my initial skepticism, it was surprisingly nice. They also brand all their muffins with a “db” which is kinda fun. All burgers come served with their “frites” (Belgian-style fries). They were not the best frites I have ever had, but I certainly didn’t have a problem finishing most of mine. They were fresh and seasoned well with their secret blend of seasonings. We tried to identify the components and came up with at least rosemary, thyme, and fennel seeds. It should also be noted that the vegetarians at the table got the Uncle Dee’s Grilled Cheese. I gotta say, it looked pretty darn tasty, and it might be my choice next time we go.

Drinkwise, they have handmade milkshakes, a small selection of craft beers and wine, and all natural Hansen’s sodas. I stuck with water which came in a carafe, but the milkshake and the sodas were enjoyed by others at the table.

I suspect we will revisit Diablo, so stay tuned for a part deux that explores more of the menu. Make sure to check out the link to their website for more information about their food and philosophy!

No comments:

Post a Comment